Labels


Saturday 19 May 2018

Easy, Cheap & Fun Way To Learn To Tell The Time


This year my Grade 2 son is getting to grips with telling the time (Australian Curriculum, Year 2).

We've been doing two things.

The first is a really fun and cheap iPad App called SqueeblesTM.

My son loves it because there's a motivating game as a reward.  I love it because I can change the settings to make it progressively more difficult.

Next, to encourage him in his efforts, I put up some cheap thrifted clocks on our back deck.

They are set to the time zones of the places we've lived, so I'm getting some geography in there, too, and hopefully opening his eyes to the rest of the world and our place in it.

Time is a hard concept for young children because our subjective experience of it is so unreliable.  It gets really fascinating when you start talking about time zones, different calendars and even... time travel!

What do we want?  Time travel!  When do we want it?  It's irrelevant!

I know, bad joke.  But since no-one came from the future to stop me telling it, how bad a joke can it be?

Do you know any interesting resources for learning to tell the time?  Do you have any favourite science fiction books about time travel?  Please let us know in the comments!

Thanks for stopping by.  If you liked this post, you might also like our Calendar Clinkers game, or check out our favourite maths games and another backyard improvement, our bird feeders.

No comments:

Post a Comment